324 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012
The BRC Reception Center is a 54-bed transitional residence for homeless mentally-ill individuals, both men and women. The facility has a dayroom, dining room, serving kitchen and nurse’s station. The Reception Center provides a comfortable, safe environment where residents learn how to live with mental illness. For those in need of detoxification, the Center benefits from being co – located with BRC’s Chemical Dependency Crisis Center.
The Reception Center provides the following services:
- Psychiatric, medical, and substance abuse assessment
- Medication management
- Money management training
- Case management, including obtaining entitlements, housing placement, and treatment program referrals
- Educational activities (skills training, health/hygiene, skills of daily living)
- Access to activities and recreational opportunities
- Three meals a day
Services are provided by a half-time psychiatrist, a full-time nurse, case managers, and an activities therapist. The Reception Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Over 18 years old and homeless
- Mentally-ill with an Axis I diagnosis
- History of psychiatric hospitalizations other than for detoxification
- Frail elderly or medically-needy (diagnosis of mental illness not needed)
- Detoxification is necessary prior to admission
- Acute intoxification
- Medical or psychiatric problems requiring hospitalization
- Uncontrollable acting out or threatening behavior
Potential clients who are contacted on the street need no referral materials. Referrals from drop – in centers or other outreach providers should be accompanied by any documentation available, such as a psychiatric/medical evaluation, documentation of TB status, or psychosocial evaluation.
Funding for The Reception Center is provided by The New York City Department of Homeless Services.
Critical additional support is provided by the foundations, corporations and individuals that contribute to BRC. For a full list of these supporters, please click the Resources button below.
DIRECTIONS TO THE RECEPTION CENTER
The Reception Center is located on the ground floor of 324 Lafayette Street between Bleecker and Houston Streets, in Manhattan. 6 Train to Bleecker. B, D, F, or Q Trains to Broadway/Lafayette (exit at Houston and Lafayette). N, R Train to Prince Street, walk 2 blocks East to Lafayette, 1 1/2 blocks North.
Raymond Miller, CSW/CASAC, Director
Brian Moriarty, MSW, CSW, Assistant Director
Charlie Jones, MSW, Clinical Coordinator and Intake